- 1 (16-oz.) box devil’s food cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 c. Andes mints, plus more for garnish
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 c. chocolate chips
FOR THE PEPPERMINT BUTTERCREAM
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 6 drops green gel food coloring (optional)
- Bake two 9″ round layers of chocolate cake according to box instructions. Let cool completely.
- Make ganache: In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring heavy cream to a simmer until tiny bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, whisking until combined. Let mixture cool until it reaches a spreadable consistency, at least 30 minutes, before frosting cake.
- Meanwhile, make buttercream: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract until light and fluffy. Add cream and green food coloring and stir until evenly combined.
- Top 1 cake layer with buttercream, then place the second cake layer on top of it.
- Top with ganache. You can either leave the sides of the cake naked or frost all of the sides with ganache, as seen in the video.
- Decorate with Andes mints.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Andes Chocolate Cake