- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest from 1 lemon (no white pith!)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh ripe blueberries, picked over, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease and flour an 8-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Set aside ⅓ cup of blueberries to put on top of batter before baking, if desired. In a medium mixing bowl, toss the remaining blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour and set aside. Make sure your berries are dry.
- In a small bowl combine 2 cups of flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter, lemon zest and ¾ cup of sugar. Beat for several minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla just until incorporated.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat on low until incorporated. Add ⅓ of the buttermilk and blend until smooth. Repeat adding 1/2 of the remaining flour, then ½ of the remaining buttermilk until both are incorporated, repeat one more time. Remove the bowl from the mixer. The batter will be very thick.
- Gently fold in the floured blueberries and any extra flour into the batter using a rubber spatula. Take care not to rupture the blueberries.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Scatter the remaining 1/3 cup of blueberries on top. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake in a 325°F preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Allow the cake to rest for 30-minutes before removing the sides of the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers for longer storage. The warm cake will crumble a little more than a cooled cake but it’s absolutely delicious.
This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here
Blueberry Breakfast Cake