- 3egg yolks
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter-softened
- 1 1 /3 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate-finely chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
InstructionsTo make the pastry cream:
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt. Add cornstarch and whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.
- In a medium saucepan place 1 1/3 cups heavy cream, add egg mixture and stir until combine. Whisking constantly cook over medium heat until it gets thick pudding consistency.
- Remove from the heat, add butter and vanilla and stir until the butter is melted. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap pressed on the top of the pastry cream so a film does not form. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to set.
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F, butter and flour 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan (8 cup volume pan) or just butter the pan and line the bottom with parchment paper living the paper overhang wider sides so could easier lift the cake.
- In a small saucepan over a low heat combine milk and butter, bring to a boil, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar on high speed until lightened in color and thick (4-5 mins). Using a rubber spatula, gradually stir in dry ingredients. Stir until combine.
- Turn your mixer on low speed and pour hot milk into batter. Mix until evenly combine and smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Spread the batter in loaf pan, smooth the top and place in preheated oven. After 20 mins rotate the pan and tent the top with aluminum foil if browning too much. Bake until golden and tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean (35-45 minutes). Baking time might vary depends on your oven and baking dish you use ( I used ceramic dish and my cake was done after 38 mins). Don’t dry the cake too much!
- Let the cake cool 10 mins in the pan than transfer it to a rack to cool completely. Using a serrated knife split cooled cake horizontally. Place bottom half of the cake onto serving plate, spread pastry cream to within 1/2 inch of edge then gently place top half of cake.
- Melt finely chopped chocolate over a double broiler. Remove from heat and add cool heavy cream. Stir until smooth. If the ganache is runny let it cool at room temperature until thicken slightly then spoon half of the ganache on top of the cake and spread to the edges.
- Spoon remaining ganache and smooth the top with the metal spatula.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Boston Cream Pie Pound Cake