- 16 ounces penne rigata pasta
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare pasta per package directions, to the al dente stage. (Pasta will cook further in the oven, so do not overcook.)
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in large saucepan or dutch oven on stove top over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the flour and whisk. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cream, garlic salt, salt, pepper and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and melt cheese.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 8-10 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently to avoid burning or scorching. Once thickened, remove from heat.
- Add in mozzarella and cream cheese and stir to combine and allow cheese to melt. Add additional salt to taste (if needed).
- Drain pasta then place back in pot. Pour in sauce and diced chicken to pasta and stir to combine.
- Pour pasta and sauce mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- TO FREEZE:
- Allow to cool. Cover and label, then place in freezer. (You may want to use a disposable aluminum pan for the freezer.)
- When ready to use, remove from freezer the night before and allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- TO BAKE:
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, until top begins to brown slightly and sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven, garnish with parsley (if desired) and serve.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
CHICKEN ALFREDO BAKE