- 1 large fryer chicken
- 1 large onion peeled and cut in half
- 3 carrots cut into large pieces
- 3 stalks of celery cut into large pieces
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Dumplings
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 4 1/2 tbsp. shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Remove the chicken neck and gizzards. Place the chicken, onions, carrots, and celery in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat so water maintains a gentle simmer.
- Cook chicken for 2-3 hour. I love to cook it for a long time to get a lot of flavor.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles small peas. Add milk a quarter cup at a time, you may not need a full cup.
- Stir until a ball of dough just begins to form, being careful not to over mix. On a flour surface roll about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter cut dough into rectangles about 1 inch wide by 2 inches long. Place strips on flour sheet pan and allow to harden for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Once chicken is done, remove from the broth and let cool. Remove chicken from the bone and shred into medium-sized pieces, discarding bones and skin.
- Pour the chicken broth through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter, discarding vegetables. Reserve 6 cups of the broth for the dumplings.
- Refrigerate or freeze the rest to use in for another recipe.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, bring broth to a gentle simmer and drop in dumplings.
- Cover and allow to cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add chicken.
- Allow to cook until thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe