- 1½ pounds Chicken Breast boneless and skinless, pounded to ¼ inch thick (2 chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Mushrooms sliced (not too thin)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- Add the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Cut each chicken breast in half, lengthwise to make two thinner pieces. Pound each piece down to about ¼ inch thick using a meat mallet. Season the chicken on both sides with the prepared seasoning mix.
- Clean the mushrooms and slice them. Don’t slice them too thin so they hold up in the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken.
- Cook 3-5 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness) until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken at its thickest part is at least 165°F
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate or pan and keep warm.
- Do not wash the skillet. Place it back over medium heat and add the butter.
- When the butter is melted and foaming add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring well to mix. Cook the mushrooms for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the mushroom mixture, while stirring and gently scraping any bits off the bottom of the skillet. Use a wooden spoon or spatula, moving in small circles around the pan.
- Bring the mushroom sauce to a simmer and cook for approximately 5 minutes (or until it thickens), stirring occasionally. Taste the mushroom sauce and add salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet. Turn it to coat with the mushroom sauce. Then, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook about 5 minutes to warm through.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS