- 6 pieces cube steak, about 2 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour, divided
- 25 Saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk
- Season cubed steak lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup flour on a plate.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup flour, Saltine crumbs, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and 1/3 cup milk in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge cubed steak in flour, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with Saltine mixture.
- Heat about 1/2-inch oil in a large pan (preferably cast iron) over medium heat.
- Cook steak in 2 batches for about 3 minutes per side. Remove steak to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour oil that is left in pan through a fine-meshed sieve into a heat-proof bowl. Measure out 1/4 cup and return it to pan.
- Add flour to pan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook until thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Chicken Fried Steak