- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 6 thighs, or 3 chicken breasts*
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, canola, sunflower etc.
- vegetable oil , for frying depending on the size of your pan
- 1 large orange, you’ll need the juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar, or white vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- sesame seeds
- green onions, chopped
- red pepper flakes
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add the egg, oil and water, whisking until smooth.
- Add the chicken cubes to the mixture, making sure the chicken gets thoroughly coated. Cover and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge. (If you’re in a hurry, 10 minutes will do.)
- In a medium saucepan or deep fryer, add 2 inches of oil and heat to 350˚F (177˚C). Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the marinated chicken cubes in batches of about 10-15 pieces, shaking off excess batter if needed. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden, turning halfway through with a slotted spoon for even browning.**
- Remove to the plate and cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
Orange Chicken Sauce
- To a medium saucepan, add orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Carefully taste a few drops and adjust sugar, soy sauce and vinegar to suit your preference.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a cup to make a slurry and pour into the sauce. Stir constantly until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. (This can take as little as 30 seconds or as long as several minutes.)
- Add the fried chicken and toss until the sauce coats it thoroughly.
- Garnish with optional sesame seeds, green onions and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.
This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here
CHINESE ORANGE CHICKEN