- 1/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
For the vanilla glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray a 6 mold donut pan with non-stick baking spray; set aside.
For the crumb topping:
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, the flour, and cinnamon. Add in the butter cubes and quickly work them into the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal; chill the topping in the freezer while making the donut batter.
For the donuts:
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture – don’t over mix!
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan. Divide crumb topping evenly among donut tops, then bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow doughnuts to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before gently lifting them out and transferring to a wire rack to cool for a few more minutes.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over donuts and serve at once.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Coffee Cake Donuts with Vanilla Glaze