- 1/2 cup dried cranberries Craisins
- ¾ cups sugar divided
- 2½ cups all purpose flour – spooned and leveled not scooped
- 1 cup butter cubed (and cold)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 to 2 tbsp of fresh orange juice optional
- additional sugar to coat cookies before baking if desired
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine cranberries and 1/4 cup of sugar in a food processor and process just until the cranberries are broken down into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Combine flour and remaining sugar in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter. You want very fine crumbs.
- Stir in extract, cranberries and sugar mixture, orange zest and orange juice (optional).
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together and forms a ball. Work the dough until it comes together.
- Shape dough into a log about two inches in a diameter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours or up to 72 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut slices of cookie dough about ¼ inch thick.
- Place about a half a cup of sugar in a bowl and coat the cookie slices with sugar.
- Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or just until cookies are set. Do not over bake. I pull mine at 12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for several minutes on baking sheet before removing to cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies