- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes, before setting aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, rice, chicken and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Mix in the milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup