- 3 1/2 cups organic powdered cane sugar *
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil (I decided to use ghee for my frosting this time, and it gave it a nice, slightly caramel flavor.)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch sea salt (unless using salted butter)
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and butter, ghee, or coconut oil.
- Gradually add water, stirring well to combine until icing reaches the right consistency for spreading. (I just stirred mine by hand because I was too lazy to dig out my mixer and I didn’t want to have to wash the beaters afterward, but using a mixer is the best way to get a smooth icing without any little clumps of cocoa powder.)
This article and recipe adapted from this site
DEPRESSION ERA CHOCOLATE CAKE