- 50 g sugar (1/4 cup)
- 190 ml water, lukewarm (3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast or 16g (2 tsp) fresh yeast
- 3 eggs, free range
- 500 g all-purpose flour, plus for dusting (4 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g butter, softened at room temperature (1 stick)
- 2 liters vegetable oil (1/2 gal)
RICH VANILLA CREAM
- 80 g vanilla sugar (or vanilla seeds mixed with sugar) (1/2 cup)
- 40 g corn starch (1/3 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- 50 g butter (1/2 stick)
METHODPREPARE THE DOUGH
- Add sugar and yeast to the lukewarm water in a large bowl. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes or until the yeast starts to bubble. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Cut the butter on small cubes.
- Water temperature should not be above 35°C / 95°F, or it will destroy the yeast.
PREPARE THE DOUGH
- Add flour, eggs, rum and lemon zest to the yeast mixture in a large bowl. Knead well. After about 5 minutes, add the salt. Slowly incorporate the butter cubes and knead well with your hands or in a stand mixer. The dough has to be glossy and smooth.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to proof at room temperature for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough, then re-cover the bowl. Put in the fridge to chill for 12 – 16 hours or overnight.
- The doughnuts will be more delicious and easily digested if you leave them to chill overnight. If you don’t have the time, leave that part out.
SHAPE THE DOUGH INTO DOUGHNUTS
- The next day, take the dough out of the fridge and cut it into 70g pieces. Shape each piece into smooth, tight bun and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour. Leave plenty of room between the doughnuts to proof. Cover lightly with cling film and leave for about 2 hours, or until about doubled in size.
FRYING THE DOUGHNUTS
- Get a cast iron casserole (we are using the one linked in the tools and equipment section). Fill it up to the halfway point with vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 165 – 175°C / 330 – 350°F. Carefully remove the doughnuts from the baking tray, take care not to deflate them, and put them into the oil. Cover with a lid. Fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Don’t cover with a lid when you turn the doughnuts around. Remove from the oil and place on a tray lined with paper towels. Set aside to cool before filling.
RICH VANILLA CREAM
- Prepare the vanilla cream. Whisk together vanilla sugar, corn starch, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Whisk together milk and eggs in a separate bowl. Add milk mixture to the saucepan. Also, add the butter. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for one minute. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the vanilla cream to prevent a skin from forming. Just before using, whisk until smooth.
HOMEMADE DOUGHNUTS WITH A RICH VANILLA CREAM
- Fill a piping bag with vanilla cream. Roll the doughnuts in sugar and pipe a generous amount of vanilla cream into each doughnut. Eat them right away or store in an airtight tin. Enjoy.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here