- 180g almond powder
- 60g freshly coconut grated or desiccated coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs (each egg 60g)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp almond flakes
- icing sugar (optional)
- This cake freezes very well. You just have to thaw or microwave it when you need it.
- It stays in the fridge fresh for a week. You just have to warm it or bring it to room temperature just before eating it.
- I like to eat this cake warm.
- Instead of almond flakes you can use pistachio flakes too.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Butter a 23-24cm springform cake tray and line the base and sides with buttered baking paper. Or butter the base and sides well and dust with flour and keep aside.
- In a bowl add almond powder, coconut, salt and sugar and stir well with a whisk until combined well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla essence till properly mixed.
- Then add in the cooled butter and mix till it is completely incorporated.
- Tip the butter mixture into the almond mix and stir them together. The batter will be quite loose.
- Pour this into the prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly.
- Scatter the almond flakes on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back slowly when you press it gently.
- Cool the cake inside the tin on a wire wrack.
- Once the cake gets cooled, invert it onto the rack, remove the baking paper and invert it again onto the serving plate. Sprinkle icing sugar on top if desired.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
FLOURLESS ALMOND & COCONUT CAKE