- 2 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses (mild, not blackstrap)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- (1) 8 ounce block full-fat cream cheese, VERY soft
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, VERY soft
- 1 tablespoon vanilla pure extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Sprinkles, optional
InstructionsFor the Gingerbread Cookies:
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Add butter, both sugars, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat on medium-speed until light and fluffy; scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, continuing to scrape the sides as needed. Add the molasses and beat until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add dry ingredients, beating just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours (or up to one day).
When ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Roll the dough into 2″ balls and arrange on prepared sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on the center of each cookie. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9-10 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden.
- Remove pan from oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with all cookie dough. Once cool, frost with cream cheese frosting, top with sprinkles (if using), and serve.
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on medium-high speed until completely smooth; about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the sifted confectioners’ sugar. Once all of the sugar has been added, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1-2 minutes. Add in lemon juice and lemon zest and beat for an additional minute. Once the cookies have completely cooled, spread the frosting over the top of each cookie and decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Frosted Gingerbread Cookies