- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tbsp egg + 2 water whisked together to make an egg wash
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
For the Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp hot crushed chilli paste or sauce use more or less to taste if you don’t like it very hot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Combine the 1 cup flour, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 3 tbsp ground ginger, 1 tsp salt.
- Prepare an egg wash by whisking together the eggs and water.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper, dip them in the egg wash and then dredge them in the flour mixture. Press the wings into the flour and spice mixture well to get good contact with the skin. This helps get very crispy wings.
- Drop the wings into a preheated 350 degree F deep fryer that’s filled with canola oil for about 8-10 minutes or little longer for larger wings, until a medium golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet. Hold in a 175 degree oven if making more than one batch.
- To prepare the sauce
- Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup water, toasted sesame seed oil, paprika, chilli paste or sauce, tsp salt, corn starch, cloves minced garlic and freshly grated ginger. Set this mixture aside.
- In a medium saucepan or wok, boil together the 1 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water.
- Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel. Do not stir.
- When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel. (Careful: This mixture is very hot and will release a lot of steam at this point!)
- Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the fried chicken wings just before serving and give them a food toss to completely cot the wings.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here
General Tso Chicken Wings