- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk
- A small onion finely chopped
- A medium carrot peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 cup condensed chicken broth or 1 cup water plus 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 medium size russet potato peeled and diced
- 2 medium size baked chicken breasts diced (link to the recipe is in the post)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pie pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup 227 g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 egg yolk plus 2 tsp milk mixed well, for brushing
- To prepare the filling, combine 4 tablespoons of the softened butter with the flour in small bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the milk. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add two tablespoons of butter and saute the onion, carrot, and celery over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the butter and flour mix and bring to a gentle boil, constantly stirring.
- Pour in the milk and cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken and peas. Cover and let cool.
- To prepare the pie dough, in a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse a few times until the butter is the size of peas. Add the water and vinegar and pulse a few more times. It does not need to come to a ball. It will look like a big pile of crumbs, and that’s what you want.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
GOOD CHICKEN POT PIE