- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 can mild green chiles (or sub 2 seeded and diced jalapenos)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breast)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Extra cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Extra lime wedge
- Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or large pot and place over medium high heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander and dried oregano; allow the spices to cook for 30 seconds, then add in chicken broth, 1 can of drained chickpeas (about 1 1/2 cups chickpeas), uncooked chicken breast and salt and pepper. Simmer on medium low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Next add in fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- Finally, add the remaining can of rinsed and drained chickpeas (1 1/2 cups chickpeas) and ½ cup water (or broth) to a blender. Blend until somewhat smooth, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Pour blended chickpeas into soup pot and then stir in the corn, lime juice and cilantro. Allow soup to cook and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, an extra lime wedge and avocado if you’d like. Serves 4. Enjoy!
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Healthy White Chicken Chili