- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons season salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
For the Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used original recipe)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Frank’s original)
- 3 tablespoons apple juice or apple cider
- The Rest
- 4 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small bowl, combine the spice mix ingredients.
- Place the chicken wings in the slow cooker and sprinkle the spice mix over the wings. Toss making sure all the wings get well coated with the spices.
- Into a small bowl, add the Honey BBQ sauce ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce mixture over the wings and toss. You want to make sure all the wings are coated with the sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 2 hours on HIGH or 3-4 hours on LOW.
- At this point the wings are cooked through and can be served. However, you can follow the instructions for broiling the wings to achieve a crispy/golden wing.
- THE SAUCE: If you wish to make the sauce a bit thicker, mix the cornstarch with cold water (about 1-2 tablespoons). Stir in the cornstarch slurry into the sauce and turn the crock pot to high for 10 minutes.
Broiling the wings to make them crispy and golden:
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack on top (you may need 2 baking sheets or you can broil them in batches).
- Place the cooked wings on the cooling rack making sure they are not touching so they can brown more evenly. Set your oven to broil* and BROIL the wings for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully flip the wings and BROIL them for another 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, after removing all the wings from the slow cooker, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry. Add the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker and mix it well with the Honey BBQ sauce until it is well combined.. Cook on HIGH for 15 – 20 minutes. The sauce will thicken a little bit.
- You can return the wings to the slow cooker and gently toss them until they are all well coated with the sauce and serve them with extra sauce on the side OR you can place the wings in a serving bowl and serve with the sauce on the side.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Wings