- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp agar agar powder
- 1 tsp tapioca flour (aka tapioca starch)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare cheese molds by spraying a glass bowl or container with spray oil or rub any neutral flavored oil on the molds to prevent sticking. (Recipe will make about 2 cups of cheese).
- Pour the can of coconut milk into a saucepan.
- Put 1/2 cup of hot water into the empty coconut milk can to melt all the remaining coconut milk and add the water to the pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan and stir with a whisk.
- Set heat on to medium and stir frequently until it boils.
- Turn down the heat until the cheese sauce is just barely boiling and stir constantly for 6 minutes until it is very smooth.
- Immediately pour into the prepared cheese molds.
- Let it cool with the lid off for about 15 minutes at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firmly set.
- Once the cheese is cooled completely cover and store in the refrigerator in a sealed for up to a week.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHEESE – VEGAN PROVOLONE