- 1/2 lb. Italian Pork Sausage or turkey sausage
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Orzo Pasta or classic semolina orzo
- 6 cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 28-oz can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes keep juice
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONSInstant Pot Instructions
- Step 1: Place the stainless insert in the Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button. When the surface is hot, add sausage to the pot, separating into pieces; brown the sausage, stirring as needed.
- *Note: you shouldn’t need to add any oil because the sausage likely has enough fat, but if you do, add only a few drops of OLIVE OIL at a time.
- Step2. When the sausage has browned, remove it from the Instant Pot and transfer it to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Carefully remove the instant pot liner from the Instant Pot and pour the sausage grease into a heat-safe container to dispose of later.
- Step 3: Continue using the saute function on the Instant Pot. (Add a few drops of OLIVE OIL if needed). Add ONION, CELERY, and GARLIC and saute until tender, stirring as needed (about 3 minutes).
- Step 4: Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot. Add DRY ORZO, CHICKEN BROTH, DICED TOMATOES with their juice, ITALIAN SEASONING; SALT, PEPPER, and BROWNED SAUSAGE.
- Close and lock the lid, turn the steam release knob to “sealed” position; set Instant Pot to Manual +3 minutes (for whole wheat orzo) or +2 minutes for semolina orzo.
- Step 5: When the pressure cook cycle is complete, press CANCEL on the Instant Pot. Carefully turn the steam release knob and release steam to fully depressurize cooker (takes 2-4 minutes). Serve warm.
- Step 1: Heat a 4-quart soup pot on medium-high.
- Step 2: Add SAUSAGE to the pot, breaking it into small pieces; brown the sausage, stirring as needed; transfer to a plate; set aside. Carefully drain the extra grease, if needed.
- Step 3: To the same heated skillet, add ONION, GARLIC, and CELERY; sauté until fragrant and tender, stirring as needed (3-4 min).
- Step 4: Add dry ORZO; sauté until toasted and fragrant (about 2-3 min); stirring as needed.
- Step 5. Add CHICKEN BROTH, DICED TOMATOES with their juice, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, PEPPER, and BROWNED SAUSAGE.
- Step 6: Bring soup just to boil; then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until orzo is cooked through and softened (10-15 min); serve warm.
- Store Italian Sausage Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- You may notice that the orzo pasta naturally continues to absorb liquid even after the soup has cooled. During reheat, you can add some more broth or plain water to get it back to a soupy consistency.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
ITALIAN ORZO SAUSAGE SOUP FOR INSTANT POT OR STOVE