- Chicken Breasts- 2. These breasts should be skinless and butterflied as described above. To do so, sliced each breast horizontally in half. Then place it between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a mallet to flatten it to about 1/2″.
- Flour 1/2 cup. You can use a whole wheat flour or almond flour instead.
- Butter- 3/4 of a stick or 6 tablespoons. To keep this recipe more diet friendly, feel free to use extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter in your dish.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil -2 tablespoons (additional as needed).
- Lemon Juice- 1/4 cup.
- Chicken Stock- 1/2 cup.
- Capers- – 1 1/2 tablespoons, rinsed and chopped.
- Garlic Cloves- 2 smashed or minced.
- Optional- salt and/or pepper for seasoning your chicken breasts. Also, sliced lemon and chopped parsley for topping.
- Place your flour in a shallow bowl such as a pasta bowl. Then prepare your chicken as described above (butterfly). Season the chicken with any optional salt and pepper if desired and then dredge the chicken through the flour, tapping off any excess, and then place the chicken on a holding plate while you cover the remaining chicken with flour using the same methods.
- Now in a large skillet set on medium to high heat, melt two tablespoons of the butter with a tablespoon of the olive oil (or three tablespoon of olive oil). We will brown the chicken in the skillet, two chicken ‘cutlets’ at a time as they will need room to cook. It should take about 2 1/2 minutes for the first side to brown and then turn the chicken over to cook the other side (about a minute more). Place the cooked chicken on a clean plate after it has cooked. Add additional butter or olive oil as needed between batches. You may not need to use all of the butter that is called for in the ingredients.
- For the sauce, after the chicken has cooked and is placed on a new plate, add the lemon juice, chicken stock, capers and garlic to the skillet and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat down and add the chicken and simmer the chicken until it is fully cooked (about 2-5 more minutes). Add additional butter or oil if needed and as desired.
- Serve the chicken with sauce as desired with lemons and parsley.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here
MEDITERRANEAN STYLE CHICKEN PICCATA