- 1 3/4 cups (227 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup (220 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (170 g) dark corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (396 g) pecan halves, (about 1 pound) toasted
INSTRUCTIONSMAKE THE CRUST
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Lightly spray the foil with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a silicone spatula until the dough starts to come together.
- Use your hands to combine the dough until no dry flour remain. The dough should hold together when squeezed.
- Evenly scatter pieces of dough over the bottom of the pan. Press and smooth the dough into an even thickness. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
MAKE THE TOPPING
- Whisk the sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl until smooth, about 20 seconds. Whisk in the egg, then fold the pecans into sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Pour topping over warm crust. Use a spatula to spread the topping evenly over crust
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the topping is rapidly bubbling across the entire surface.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Use the foil overhang to lift the bars out and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 16 bars.
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- The bars can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
PECAN PIE BARS