- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (equal to 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 5-7 cups powdered sugar
- (optional: replace 1 stick of butter with 1/2 cup vegetable shortening for a more stable frosting, especially in hot weather)
- Place room temperature butter (and vegetable shortening if using) in a mixing bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until smooth, 1 minute.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Mix using a spatula.
- Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing with a spatula at first so the powered sugar doesn’t puff up everywhere. Once all of the powdered sugar is incorporated, beat the buttercream using an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Use on your favorite desserts like pumpkin cupcakes, doctored up pumpkin cake, chocolate cupcakes, and brownies.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Pumpkin Buttercream Recipe