- 2 cans (12.5 oz each) chicken, drained & flaked
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 8″ flour tortillas
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine drained and flaked chicken, cream cheese, salsa, cheese, cumin, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Spread 3 tablespoons (a large spoonful) of chicken mixture onto a tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam side down on a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- *If you use smaller tortillas then you won’t need the full 3 tablespoons of filling, so adjust accordingly.
- Spray the tops of the flautas with cooking spray. Don’t soak them but you want them to have a decent coating of cooking spray so they will get really brown and crispy. I also like to sprinkle some kosher salt on top of the sprayed flautas, but this is totally optional.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they reach desired crispness that you want. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving so the filling can cool and come together. Serve with dips of your choice (sour cream, salsa, guacamole).
- I used 8″ flour tortillas and got 12 flautas. If you use smaller tortillas then you will have more flautas. It just depends on how big or small you want the flautas to be.
- Don’t be scared of the canned chicken. It’s what makes these flautas so quick and easy to make, and you honestly can’t even tell.
- If you are totally against the canned chicken you can always use about 3 cups of shredded chicken or some rotisserie chicken. But again, this recipe is written for the canned chicken which is already flavored and salted. So you may have to adjust things if not using canned chicken. But try the canned chicken just once! It may just surprise you.
- 6 oz of cream cheese is almost all of an 8 oz block of cream cheese. I’ve experimented with using the entire bar of cream cheese, but it’s just way too much. So yes, not using it all annoys me too, but 6 oz is the perfect amount.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Quick & Easy Chicken Flautas