- 2 lbs chicken breasts , (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 cup water
FOR THE SPICE MIX
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic, (or garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch ground cloves
INGREDIENTS FOR FRYING
- 1/4 cup olive oil, (divided; you may need a little less)
INGREDIENTS FOR TAHINI SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons water, (or as much as you need to get your desired consistency)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Generous pinch fine sea salt, (to taste)
- Place chicken in the bowl of your slow cooker, and add water. Cook on high 2 hours until the chicken is cooked through (the juices run clear and the fat has rendered out of the chicken).
- When the chicken is cooked, slice each breast against the grain.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the spice mix ingredients. Set aside.
- Over medium high heat, preheat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan large enough to hold all of the chicken in a single layer without being too crowded.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to fry, without moving it, until crisp.
- Pour 1 Tablespoon more of oil over the chicken and flip the chicken, stirring gently to make sure that the chicken is well coated with the spice mix. If the chicken is starting to stick to the pan once flipped, add the remaining Tablespoon of oil and stir gently.
- Remove chicken from pan as soon as it is crisped to your liking.
- If serving with lemon tahini sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately, with lemon tahini sauce, if desired. (See notes for serving suggestions.)
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma