- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – cut into 1 ½’’ cubes
- Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Bacon – cooked & crumbled
- 1 Cup Uncooked Wild Rice – rinsed*
- 4 cloves Garlic – peeled & minced
- 1 Parmesan Rind + ½ cup grated parmesan , plus more for garnish
- 1 small Yellow Onion – peeled & diced
- 2 large Carrots – peeled & diced
- 2 large Stalks Celery – diced
- 1 TBS Fresh Thyme Leaves , plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp EACH: Dried Sage & Dried Rosemary
- 5 -5 ½ Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Stock depending on desired thickness
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine optional
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese – at room temperature & cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ Cups Half and Half *
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
For serving: Artisan bread, fresh grated parmesan, parsleyInstructions
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Place chicken in the bowl of a 6 quart slow cooker or crockpot.
- Add half of the bacon, rice, garlic, parmesan rind, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, sage, rosemary, stock and wine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ – 3 hours or LOW for 4 ½- 5 hours*. (Chicken and rice will continue to cook in next steps)
- Remove the lid. (Optional – remove and discard parmesan rind.) Add the cream cheese and grated parmesan to the slow cooker. In a large (2 or 4 cup) glass measuring cup, mix the cornstarch with the half and half. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes – 1 hour, or until the cream cheese is melted, the chicken is cooked and rice is tender.
- When the soup is done, stir in the remaining cooked bacon. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt, pepper or additional half and half if you like a thinner soup.
- To serve: Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with fresh herbs and more grated parmesan.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup