- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses (NOT blackstrap)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar OR white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Gingerbread Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Make the cookie dough: Place the sugar & butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until combined (you can also do this in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, just be careful so you don’t overmix the dough).
- Add the egg, molasses, vinegar and vanilla extract and beat on medium-low speed until fully combined.Finally, combine the dry ingredients and the gingerbread spices in a medium mixing bowl. Add to the molasses mix and beat on low speed just until combined into a soft cookie dough.
- Chill the dough: Cover the bowl and chill the cookie dough for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. If you chill it overnight, you may need to let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes so it’s easier to roll.
- Cut out cookies: Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Divide the dough in 2 and roll each half to 1/4 of an inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out cookies and place them on lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Place similarly sized cookies on the same baking sheet!
- Bake the cookies: Once you have filled a baking sheet, place it in the oven to bake. Medium-sized cookies take 8-10 minutes to bake. Large gingerbread men take 12-14 minutes to bake. Smaller cookies take 6-8 minutes to bake. They should spring back when you slightly touch their surface, but make sure to not overbake them or they’ll turn out tough. Cool the baked cookies on a baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
The Perfect Soft Gingerbread Cookies