- 1 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup of dutch processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 eggs, at room temp.
- 1 cup of milk, at room temp.
- 1 /2 cup of canola oil
- 1 tbsp. of vanilla
- 3 tbsp. of sour cream
- 1 cup of hot coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in bowl. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and sour cream together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the hot coffee to the cake batter and mix in by hand until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the well greased pan/pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached. *baking time depends on the pan you use.
- -For Layer Cake- use three 9 inch pans- bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Cool cake in pans for 10 minutes, then turn pans over on a cooling rack and cool completely. Frost cake with chocolate truffle frosting. * I double the frosting recipe when making a layer cake.
- -For a 9×13 pan– bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting it.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE
Ultimate Homemade Chocolate Cake