- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar divided
- 1 medium baking apple I use Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces bread I used soft dinner rolls
- Cut up the bread into roughly equal pieces, about 1 inch each.
- Put the butter in a 9 inch round cake pan. Place it in a cold oven and preheat the oven to 400 F. Watch the butter; when it melts, take out the pan.
- In the pan, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar into the butter and pat it evenly over the pan bottom. Set aside. Core and slice the apple into 8 equal pieces, then cut each piece one more time to make 16 slices. Arrange the slices like flower petals on top of the butter/sugar mixture in the pan.
- How to Make Apple Bread Pudding
- To fill in the gap in the middle, cut a few triangular apple pieces and arrange in the middle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the milk and stir to combine. Beat in the eggs. Drop in the bread pieces and massage with your hands to break them up some more and get them to absorb the most liquid.
- Scoop the bread and custard mixture into the cake pan and pat it down evenly on top of the apples and butter/sugar mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 300 F and continue baking for about 30 minutes, or until the temperature in the middle of the bread pudding reaches 175 F. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the pudding, then top the pan with a platter and invert. The bread pudding should drop neatly onto the platter. Continue cooling for another 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm, or place in the refrigerator and chill completely.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here
Upside Down Apple Bread Pudding