- 2 cups flour (see note)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar (or xylitol for sugar free)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, such as almondmilk yogurt
- 1/4 cup oil (or sub applesauce for fat free)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons (1 tbsp total – don’t omit)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- The recipe works with spelt, white, oat, or gf all purpose flour. It technically works with almond flour (and tastes delicious) but won’t rise or look pretty. I prefer the oil version’s flavor and texture, but if you’re used to the texture of oil free baked goods it’s fine to sub applesauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Whisk liquid ingredients in a separate bowl, combine wet and dry, then stir until just evenly mixed. Spread into the pan. Bake 50-55 minutes, or until loaf has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If desired, frost with either melted coconut butter or 1/2 cup powdered sugar combined with 1 tbsp milk of choice.
This article and recipe adapted from this site
Vegan Lemon Bread